Buzzfeed.com has a diverse collection of the 45 most powerful images of 2011. Here’s my five most powerful images out of the collection.
1) This sightseeing boat, Hama Yuri, was pulled 1300 feet from the coast and somehow balanced itself on a two story house during the tsunami in Japan.
2) An aerial shot of the damage immediately following the Japanese tsunami.
3) A University of California Davis police officer pepper-sprays students during their sit-in at an “Occupy UCD” demonstration in Davis, California. (Jasna Hodzic)
4) Firefighters of Ladder Company 4 — which lost seven men on 9/11 — watching a news bulletin in Times Square declaring that Osama bin Laden was dead.
5) Facebook played an extremely important role in the Arab spring uprisings throughout 2011.